FRISCO, Texas – Sufficient of this Tom Brady is 7-0 towards the Dallas Cowboys. By no means misplaced to them.
Let’s not simply stuff a stat conveniently in a field, then tie a bow to the highest, as if the now 45-year-old Brady has some campaign going towards the crew with a Blue Star on his helmet. Let’s unpack the info.
Do you understand that 4 of these wins occurred between 2003 and 2015. Not a soul on this Cowboys crew that is gone 12-5 in back-to-back seasons and has certified for the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the primary time since 2006-07 was on that Cowboys 2003 crew dropping 12-0 to the Brady-led Patriots. Not a soul on this crew was on the Cowboys squad in 2007 dropping 48-27 to Brady’s Patriots.
And just one particular person on this 2022 crew, Tyron Smith, was on the Cowboys’ 8-8 crew in 2011 dropping 20-16 to Brady’s Patriots. And take into consideration this: In these three seasons the Patriots received one Tremendous Bowl (2003) and misplaced the 2 others.
In 2015, when the Cowboys misplaced to Brady and the Patriots, 30-6, these eventual 4-12 Cowboys had been Tony Romo-less in that sport. You understand how many of those present Cowboys had been on that crew? Strive three, Smith, Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence.
Now, in 2019, an 8-8 Cowboys crew in a chilly, driving rainstorm in Foxborough, Mass., Brady and the Patriots thumped the Cowboys by all of 13-9, the eventual 12-4 Patriots’ solely landing scored after recovering a blocked punt on the Cowboys’ 12-yard line, Brady throwing a 10-yard TD cross. There have been 15 present Cowboys on that crew, together with the additions of Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Leighton Vander Esch, Brett Maher, Tony Pollard and Luke Gifford, to call a number of.
That is how Brady acquired to 5-0 with the Patriots towards the Cowboys.
So actually, Brady, with the present Buccaneers, has solely confronted a majority of those Cowboys heading to Tampa, Fla., for Monday night time’s Tremendous Wild Card Weekend playoff sport within the 2021 and 2022 season openers. And look, 23 of the Cowboys in that 2021 sport are not with the crew dropping 31-29 when Brady led the Bucs to a game-winning subject objective with two seconds remaining. And in that sport, Dak Prescott outplayed Brady, the one drawback being driving the Cowboys 68 yards for Greg Zuerlein’s 48-yard subject objective to take a 29-28 lead with 1:24 left to play, yep, a minute and 24 seconds too quickly.
And on this 12 months’s season opener, in fact the 19-3 Bucs win, the Dallas protection held Brady to only 19 factors, however it was the Tampa Bay protection strangling this Cowboys offense to a season-low three factors and to their third-fewest complete yards, 244, to choose up the win.
Marvel if anybody in Tampa is apprehensive going into this sport that the Cowboys maintain an all-time postseason 2-0 report towards the Bucs, even when these wins befell after the 1981 and 1982 seasons, 38-0 and 30-17. Meaningless, proper?
These are however your 1-year-old’s Cowboys.
So, go away it to Cowboys security Jayron Kearse, 0-3 when taking part in Brady, having misplaced to him and New England, 24-10 whereas with the Vikings, to place this sport into perspective when requested, “How badly do you need to beat Brady?”
“How unhealthy do I need to beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?” Kearse stated rhetorically and correctively. “Actual unhealthy. Actual unhealthy.”
Nicely stated. Like, what’s 2003 acquired to do with it?
- Let’s See: This may be enormous. 4 guys who did not play any or the complete sport this previous Sunday towards Washington, Tyler Biadasz, Leighton Vander Esch, Johnathan Hankins and DaRon Bland, had been anticipated to start the sunshine exercise the Cowboys had on Wednesday after which leap into full follow on Thursday, fingers crossed all are good to go on Monday night time. Particularly Biadasz. That offensive line motion to compensate for the beginning middle’s loss (excessive ankle sprain) actually sprained the road play towards Washington. Now, as you had been, Biadasz at middle, and he stated, “I am good” Wednesday, and certain checked out it rehabbing the opposite day pushing a weighted sled; Connor McGovern again at left guard after having performed middle; and Tyler Smith again at left deal with after having performed guard. And if Bland can return at cornerback and Mackensie Alexander within the slot, that will reduce the burden at left nook. Then Hankins will get again plugging the center, and the way good for the crew’s second main tackler, Vander Esch, to man the center. Preserve saying this: Accidents do matter.
- Enjoying On Grass: Yep, must be good grass at Raymond James Stadium, too, even this time of 12 months. It is Florida, proper? So it has been identified the Cowboys are 1-4 taking part in on grass fields this 12 months, beating Tennessee, however dropping to the Eagles, Packers, Jaguars and Commanders, suggesting grass slows down this speedy Cowboys crew. Nonetheless marvel why grass fields decelerate a quick crew however do not decelerate a sluggish crew. As Cowboys proprietor Jerry Jones stated the opposite day, “My level is, they must play on grass too.”
- Lion Roars: Be onerous to think about Cowboys “lionbacker” Micah Parsons not being hacked over his exclusion on the NFLPA All-Professional crew at both edge rusher or off-the-ball linebacker, not solely along with his 13.5 sacks, but additionally 69 QB pressures, 5 tackles for loss, three pressured fumbles and three recovered fumbles, alongside along with his 54 tackles. And for those who watch him, there isn’t a stat for the way he influences opposing offenses, and the opponents watching up shut and private who did the voting comprehend it. However that is OK. All he wants is somewhat further fireplace for a playoff sport, or as Kearse stated of the snub, “It’ll be a type of video games for him.”
- Take That Ball Away: Of all the good defenses Dallas has had, that is wonderful that the Cowboys have led the NFL in back-to-back seasons in takeaways, 33 this 12 months and 34 final 12 months, changing into the primary crew to guide the NFL in consecutive years since Pittsburgh from 1972-74. Would not harm to take a number of extra away Monday night time, and bear in mind, they’ve intercepted Brady thrice up to now two video games.
- Been There: Solely three gamers having spent their whole careers with the Cowboys have performed in additional than 5 postseason video games: Tyron Smith, DeMarcus Lawrence and Zack Martin, all three in six every over 4 playoff seasons. Main the best way can be TY Hilton, showing in 9 video games over 5 postseasons with Indianapolis. How younger is that this crew? This might be solely the second postseason sport for 13 Cowboys gamers. Oh, if we’re scoring, this Brady man, uh, he is appeared in 47 postseason video games, having received 35 of these, with NFL record-highs of 13,049 passing yards and 86 passing touchdowns.
- Playoff Bites: The Cowboys completed the season with 54 sacks, most since 59 in 2008 and second most because the 57 of 1983 and 1984, simply after sacks turned an official NFL stat in 1982… The Cowboys had a three-game profitable streak in wild-card playoff video games, 2009, 2014 and 2018, earlier than dropping to the 49ers final 12 months, and have a five-game dropping streak in divisional spherical video games, beginning again in 1996 by 2018 … Solidifying his No. 1 receiver standing, CeeDee Lamb completed tied for fifth along with his 107 receptions, second in franchise historical past to solely Michael Irvin’s 111 in 1995, and Lamb’s 9 receiving touchdowns ranked fifth within the NFL too.
And we go to Cowboys proprietor Jerry Jones this week for our final phrase, Jerry waxing poetically when requested if the adversity attributable to the 26-6 thud to the Commandeers would possibly encourage his crew to play higher Monday night time within the first spherical of the playoffs towards Tampa Bay.
“I do know that success are the prospects of being good and acquired all of the solutions, and success is each bit the undermining flaw that failure is. And to have had some and to assume that is what you’re can also be a fraud. Each are equal frauds .”
In different phrases, I believe, none of that issues in a win or go dwelling sport like Monday night time’s might be. It is all concerning the second.
Cannot get pictures like that wherever else.